So before the non-spoiler review for Episode 2 comes out, I decided to publish my notes that contain spoilers after each new episode comes out.
These are as they’re written in my notebook: bullet point, and very train of thought.
So here are my thoughts, containing massive spoilers!, for Before the Storm Episode 1: Awake. These will be expounded upon as I do have a plan for exploring the fuck ton of symbolism in this series, both the original game and BtS.
- Checking Chloe’s phone with Max is heartbreaking. Childhood picture. Hits home in trying to communicate with someone who is busy. I’ve been in Max’s shoes.
- ALL OF CHLOE’S JOURNAL ENTRIES ARE WRITING TO MAX. OW.
- Chloe’s grief with William is real… and powerful. That hits home.
- Backtalk is a pretty cool mechanic.
- Interesting how Illuminati is the sign associated with Chloe.
- Frank Bowers! I love him.
- Lots of symbolism here too; the Satyr on the radio.
- Chloe still has her pirate gear on a mirror. Didn’t have a mirror in LiS. Hope for Max, still?
- “Previous Topic: Prescotts and Illuminati”
- Chloe wants to be open about William. Joyce seems to want to hide it all away (i.e. picture in dresser)
- Chloe kept all of William’s stuff and moved it to her room…
- Who is Eliot and why isn’t he in LiS?
- Skip is ADORABLE. I’m so mad David took his place. His band has good music too! I hope he makes it.
- Interesting view on Nathan this time. We see where it starts.
- The DnD-esque session was fun as hell.
- She picked up “hella” from Rachel. “It’s a Cali thing.”
- Seeing the junkyard for the first time is a beautiful and… really gut-sinking scene, at first view, knowing Rachel will be buried there.
- Once you pick up the bat with Chloe in the junkyard, the entire thing gets…really powerful. So far my favorite scene. How I felt… and feel… so many days with grief.
- That crow keeps showing up.
- Does… Rachel have some kind of power too?
- Scene in front of the burning tree. She screamed, and every time, the wind blew with her.
- Rachel as a force of nature.